These pages provide information and guidance on Equity, Ethics and Discipline within hockey in England.
EHB are currently developing an education and training strategy in line with UK Anti-doping guidelines. Further information and guidance on Anti-doping can be found here.
England Hockey Board’s Code of Ethics and Behaviour
This encapsulates all the sporting, moral and ethical principles that hockey represents. The Code is intended for all participants and disciplines within the sport. Everyone involved in the sport should promote equality of access and opportunity, fairness and respect. All those involved within hockey have a responsibility to act according to the highest standards of integrity and to ensure that the reputation of the sport is, and remains, high. Copies of the code and further information can be found here.
England Hockey Board has signed up to the Government Sports Charter which aims to tackle homophobia and transphobia in sport.
On Monday 14 March 2011 the government, together with major sporting bodies, launched a Charter calling for anyone and everyone with an interest or involvement in sport to unite in a common cause to tackle homophobia and transphobia in sport and aim to make sport a welcoming environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people.
The charter states:
- We believe that everyone should be able to participate in and enjoy sport – whoever they are and whatever their background
- We believe that sport is about fairness and equality, respect and dignity. Sport teaches individuals how to strive and succeed, how to cope with success and disappointment, and brings people together with a common goal
- We are committed to making these values a reality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. We will work together, and individually, to rid sport of homophobia and transphobia
- We will make sport a welcome place for everyone – for those participating in sport, those attending sporting events and for those working or volunteering in sports at any level
- We will work with all these groups to ensure they have a voice, and to challenge unacceptable behaviour
Click here to see the Sports Charter in full.
The Equality Standard is a framework, developed by the Home Country Sports Councils, to guide sports organisations towards achieving equality. It assists organisations in developing structures and processes, assessing performance and ensuring continuous improvement in equality.
There are four levels of the Equality Standard, EHB achieved the preliminary level.
As part of its commitment to equality, EHB has written an Action Plan and established a working group to focus on achieving equality.
Further details and information and guidance can be found here.